Wednesday, January 6, 2010

spring is in the air!

Well, actually my car is in the air, and lowering springs are the cure. Not only does the car look terrible sitting at stock height, the stock springs are too soft for my taste.  My daily driver has Cusco coilovers, so my frame of reference is different.  This car just doesn’t feel as stable or controlled to me, and the rear shock mounts make a squeaky rubber noise because they are probably made out of decroded rubber dust and spider poo by now.

Since the rest of the suspension’s’ glory days were probably over 20 years ago, I also have some top-adjustable Konis, camber/caster plates, spherical rear top mounts, roll center spacers, and adjustable sway bar links to bring it up to snuff for 2010.

Even after wrestling with the spring compressor for a while and trying to figure out how to remove it after uncompressing the spring, I got the fronts in fairly quickly.  Unfortunately the 26mm roll center spacers were a little bit too thick and the tie rod just barely touched the wheel after a test fit.  :( Hopefully I can trade someone for a set of 20mm soon. I’ll let it settle for a day before I install and adjust the front sway bar links.

Also, the strut bar mounting plate interferes with the new adjustable shock, so I’ll have to make a notch for clearance so I can keep some of the bling under the hood.

I started on the rear before it got too dark (at 5pm!), and took the old blown rear shocks out, so tomorrow I’ll throw in the rear shocks/mounts and springs.

[Via http://teampogi.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment